ABSTRACT: KIVA Institute, LLC developed recommended training courses that will provide Awarding Officials and their subordinate technical representatives with the knowledge to effectively award and perform oversight on agreements under Public Law 93-638, the Indian Self-Determination Education & Assistance Act. The list of KIVA’s recommended courses is intended to complement, not replace, the courses required by the Federal agencies to satisfy Awarding Officials’ annual certification requirements.
KIVA’s Awarding Officials’ Certification Series includes the following courses, which may be taken in any order (there are no prerequisites for our courses):
Module 1 Roles & Responsibilities of Awarding Officials/AOTR/SAOTR and Standards of Professional Conduct (Code of Ethics). 3 Days, 24 Hours
Module 2 The Indian Self-Determinaction Act: Law and Administration. 3 Days, 24 Hours
Module 3 An Overview of the Indian Self-Determination Act: Contracts and Compacts. 3 Days, 24 Hours
Module 4 Indirect Cost Principles (Contract Support Costs/Direct Contract Support Costs. 2 Days, 16 Hours
Module 5 OMB Super Circular (Single Audit Costs & Principles). 2 Days, 16 Hours
Module 6 The Single Audit Act: Audit Preparation, Resolution & Follow-Up. 2 Days, 16 Hours
Module 7 Financial Management Systems & Reporting Requirements with GASB. 2 Days, 16 Hours
Module 8 Construction Contracting under Public Law 93-638 (Subpart J). 3 Days, 24 Hours
Module 9 Developing Program Standards and Contract Statements of Work. 2 Days, 16 Hours
Module 10 Appeals and Disputes under Public Law 96-638. 2 Days, 16 Hours
KIVA provides customized services as may be needed by tribal nations, tribal organizations and Federal agency service providers. We have been asked by Bureau of Indian Affairs and Indian Health Service representatives could provide courses to meet the annual training certification requirements for Awarding Officials, Awarding Officials’ (AO), Technical Representatives (AOTR), and Subordinate Awarding Officials’ Technical Representatives (SAOTR).
The “KIVA Institute’s Awarding Official Certification Series” is intended to provide information on the courses we offer that meets the minimum federal training requirements but adds other courses we believe are relevant to an AO’s duties and responsibilities. Awarding Officials should have knowledge of:
- Indirect Cost Principles and how Indirect Cost Rates work.
- The legislative intent of Contract Support Costs and the pools of funds that pay for indirect cost rates, direct contract support costs, startup and pre-award costs.
- The “OMB Super Circular”. The Super Circular covers federal cost principles and annual audit requirements, but it also covers some basic disclosure requirements that apply to 638 contracts.
- And, all federal personnel (AO’s and Line Officers) should have working knowledge of the basic tenets of the Indian Self-Determination Act, and what the legislative intent was of the U.S. Congress in passing the Indian Self-Determination Act.
The full Awarding Officials Brochure provides background information for our courses and explains why AO’s (and others) should attend these courses.
Our instructors have hands-on experience and practical knowledge to teach these courses. We offer these courses throughout the year at various locations. See our website for updates on our schedules. We can also provide on-site training at locations selected by our clients, or hold video training conferences (or webinars). All of our courses come with training manuals and reference materials; and training completion certificates.
We guarantee our courses by providing post-training technical assistance to all our attendees at no additional cost. If our attendees have questions they can contact us via our toll-free telephone number or email; and we would provide the answers free of charge.
We also issue periodic Guidance Memoranda on how to apply and implement rules pertaining to Pub. L. 93-638 agreements, such as:
- Calculating direct contract support costs; preparing to assume (contract or compact) programs under Pub. L. 93-638
- Applying the cost principles in the Super Circular and the unique cost principles in Pub. L. 93-638 .